Thursday, July 24, 2014

You will be missed, grandma.



I actually wanted to blog about another topic - my job, but somehow, I think that this is the one I prefer to post right now ... yea, my grandma passed away about 3 months ago - 28 April 2014 - 8 days after my birthday. 

She had been admitted to the hospital 1 month before she left the world. Within that 1 month, we had been going to the hospital almost every day because we're really worried about her condition. Sometimes, she's stable but sometimes she's not. Grandma was 95 years old already. Doctors had been telling us that her condition was bad. All we could do was pray, pray and pray. We really hoped for a miracle as we really don't wanna lose her. 

In the final week, grandma was transferred from the normal ward to ICU. This time, we knew it would be a hard time. I can still remember the first day I went to visit her in ICU. She was unconscious ... after getting the Anesthesia injection. She looked suffered as she was breathing hardly. There were hoses everywhere connected to her body. And, she needed the life support machine to keep her breathing normally. Looking at her, quietly, all I could hear was the 'beeping' sound of the machines. Flashbacks started appearing in my head. Her smile. Her eyes. Her smooth skin ... tears started rolling down my cheeks. I tried to resist touching her hands and face, because every single time my skin reaches hers, I couldn't help getting teary eyes.

And ... that night arrived. Dad received a call from aunt who was staying at the hospital, that grandma's condition was critical. I still remember it was 3am. Dad rushed there. And about half an hour later, dad called mom. We knew what that call was for. Doctor said that grandma might not be able to make it. Without changing our pj's, mom, sis and I rushed to the hospital. On our way there, we kept praying that there would be a miracle. "Stay strong, grandma." I kept repeating that while driving on the empty streets. 

We reached there in about 10 minutes. Doctor was doing CPR to grandma already. Condition wasn't good at all. We waited in another room. Everybody was quiet but yet, we still had hope that grandma was able to make it. After 5 minutes of doing the last rescue, nurses came to us and told us the bad news.

I guess you know what happened next. Grandma looked so pale. But this time, she didn't look suffered. She left peacefully I could tell. It was heartbreaking to see and hear my aunts crying ... but we all kinda accepted it anyway 'cause grandma was old-aged already. I touched my grandma for the one last time. Her skin was icy cold.

Grandma is currently at where she belongs to. She left us but she will never leave our hearts and our memories. I love you, grandma. I never said this to her. She's one irreplaceable grandma. She never raised her voice at anyone. In fact, I never saw her scolding any one of us. She always kept the graceful smile on her face. Even when my friends came to my grandma's place, they always told me that, "your grandma is so cute. she keeps smiling." I must say, she's the sweetest and the cutest grandma in the world.

Rest in peace, grandma. I will never ever forget you, ah ma.